National Messages and Branding
Why use key messages?
It is important that we all work together to promote consistent messages to communities. The more our communities hear those messages, the more likely they are to act in a positive way.
Te Hiringa Hauora is responsible for developing messages that can be used nationwide. Te Hiringa Hauora promotes these messages directly to key audiences and encourages and supports the Minimising Gambling Harm Sector to implement these messages at a local level.
What are the key messages?
The key messages that all of us should be regularly promoting include:
1. Increase awareness of the early signs of harmful gambling.
The three key signs are:
- Chasing your losses
- Hiding your gambling
- Feeling guilty about gambling
2. Encourage at-risk gamblers and concerned others to take positive action early.
- Contacting the free 24/7 Gambling Helpline on 0800 654 655 or texting 8006.
- Getting in touch with a free local face-to-face confidential gambling help service
- Visiting Safer Gambling Aotearoa for a self-assessment quiz, self-help tools and information about all services